Drainage system installations are one time investment. Any mega construction requires the basic stage of design of the drainage system. Now when designing such a system, the material selection for the pipe plays a very crucial role. The skeleton of the system is to be built with pipes. There are various important factors that come into play when selecting the type of pipe, material of pipe and the shape of the pipe to be selected. So, we will discuss the various types of pipes that one can select according to their purposes as prescribed by plumber Toronto.
When it comes to drainage system, certain prerequisite for the pipe material are:
- It has to be water tight to avoid leakage
- It has to smooth to avoid turbulence
- It has to have the ability to handle rough handling and abrasions.
- Most crucial of all is the tolerance for range of temperatures.
- Then comes the pressure tolerance, the ability to withstand required hydraulic pressure is important.
The chief property of water is, corrosion property. Corrosion is a very fast process which eats through the metal and creates pores, and makes the pipe brittle. So above all, the pipe material has to resist internal corrosion which is due to the interaction of liquid with the metal, and eternal corrosion which is due to contact of the external atmosphere or soil with water.
Some of the common pipes that one can select from are to be discussed further
- Cast iron soil pipe and fittings-This kind of pipes are heavier. The best property of this pipe is, the joints are leak proof, and are flexible. The joints of the pipes can also be combined with rubber joints.
- Rainwater pipes and fittings-These are cast iron pipes. They are cheaper than soil pipes. These are used for rainwater. The joints in these pipes are made of sand and cement.
- Cast iron pipe with coupling joint– This has a combination of iron and rubber sleeve.
- PVC pipes-Polyvinylchloride is a polymer and is widely used in the construction of pipes through out the world. According to plumber Toronto, these pipes come in varying range of they are very light and flexible, which makes portability and handling easy. But then with applied external load, they tend to deform very easily. These pipes are resistant to external and internal corrosion but they might react with certain chemicals.
- Galvanized Steel Pipe-These pipes are highly resistant to corrosion. This is mostly adopted for water supply.
- Lead pipes-Plumbing is derived from the word Plum bum, which is the scientific name for the element Lead (Pb). Lead pipes are being used since time immemorial. They are highly resistant to corrosion from action of acids, alkalis or other metals. But a major drawback with this kind of pipe is, lead is soluble in water and it can contaminate the water. Thus it is strongly recommended not to use this and instead go for copper and PVC pipes.
Thus with range of options available, one should select very wisely so as to avail smooth functioning of the installed systems.